Monday, November 19, 2007

Hi everyone, today is 18 November. When I met my apartment mate in the kitchen, she told me in exactly 1 month, or 4 weeks and 2 days, she will be back in Denmark. She says that although life has gotten less boring after school started (both of us were complaining of having nothing to do before school started), she prefers going to school with her friends, as she stays in a student residence with 15 of her other friends. she prefers her friends to studies.

and come to think of it, I have approximately 1 more month in Barcelona before I bid farewell to this place. This is a marvellous place. I enjoy the place I am staying right now, and I thank my parents for helping me settle down in my room. School has been alright, although I could have met more friends. No matter. I miss the food in Singapore. That is all I can think of.

I think living away from home is a good thing. Just like how the Angmohs move out of their parents' house once they reach 18, we should be able to do that as well. Hostel life would be fun. Maybe I should move into SMU hostel and learn to live with other people. But the feeling is still different. Home would be a half hour bus ride away, instead of 20,000 miles away for me right now.

I m going to Germany this Thursday, and I borrowed a suitcase from my Taiwanese roommate to pack my sleeping bag and my winter stuff. I m very thankful to have her around in this household. She really helped me in my transition, as well as always being there to help me. She even brought me along to run her errands. Although I would not ask someone to go out with me if that person doesn't have anything to do, I m glad she did exactly the opposite of what I would have done. It made me bolder, and dare to explore more of Barcelona.

Speaking of Exploring, Today I visited the Museu d' Historia of Catalonia. It was an amazing museum, showing how Catalonia evolved from primates(as we all do) to being influenced by Christianity and Islam, how the Romans came to occupy Catalonia, how Barcelona staged sieges but failed on many occasions. No wonder Barcelona ppl are proud to call themselves part of Catalonia. I mean this is just a very superficial introduction, and I would like to learn more about the Catalan culture.

and so, I walked back home from the museum. walked past the port, where many ricj ppl parked their yachts. there wer plenty of flea markets on the weekends as well. Walked and walked. it is tiring, but i know it will give me a good night's sleep.

And I have been reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. It was a birthday present from my JC classmates, and I am grateful to them for giving me such a great book. It is a book abt how 2 Afghan girls came together. I won't spoil the story, but I cannot believe that sexual discrimination is worse than what I thought I already knew. I am very fortunate to be able to be who I am, to be the loud girl who yells her head off at everything. Oh man, when I read the book, I relaly was very sad. You should go read it, or come borrow from me. I haven't quite finished yet, but I will try to finish it by tonight. It has kept me hooked over the weekend. It is a great book. and since SJ is studying Gender Studies at Dauphine, this book may help him understand the female race better haha

and now, back to emerging economies such as Singapore, India and China. emerging Economies is a subject I m taking right now. Although I am not an economics student, I thought this was an interesting topic and I thought what better chance to take up such a course except for on an exchange. It has been an interesting class so far. We talk about China, India and Latin American countries, as well as Singapore. My prof once mentioned, he does not understand how the goverment intervention in economics could work hand in hand with the mechanics of market economy. well, it worked in China, and perhaps it worked in Singapore. but apparently angmohs cannot understand. Certain things just happen, don't they?

No comments: